steffen.opel

How much publicity is currently desired for the City Index API initiative?

Are we currently operating in kind of a private beta mode or is it no problem (or even desired) to spread the word already, if there happens to be a respective opportunity?

I’m asking due to the Area 51 Webservice APIs proposal, which just entered its commitment phase:

The proposal obviously covers a lot of topics relevant here as well – participating there early could gain some attention for the City Index API initiative, on the other hand it might draw from our still scarce resources right now ;)

Chances/Risks of the Webservice APIs proposal

I’m still entirely undecided myself, whether all these micro stack exchange sites within overlapping areas will turn out to be useful or not; I see the need for dedicated communities in highly specialized areas, but in general I’d probably prefer tag/filter based approaches within larger sites (currently – this is really a delicate balance).

To that end I’m sceptical, that the proposal will be successful at all, i.e. it might not gain critical mass to go public or simply get sacked by the powers that be – Webservice APIs is listed as a candidate in Merging Season indeed!

Guest mrdavidlaing

At this stage of the game its probably better for us to remain in “private/invite only” mode.

However, I’d be interested to learn from the Webservices API proposal story; in proparation for when we are ready to solicit public feedback.

At this stage of the game its probably better for us to remain in “private/invite only” mode.

However, I’d be interested to learn from the Webservices API proposal story; in proparation for when we are ready to solicit public feedback.

Thanks for the clarification – that’s what I suspected indeed, just wanted to make sure not to miss out on an opportunity otherwise.