Sign in to follow this  
OldWiseAndExperienced

REST Server Processing Times

Hi,

I have performed hundreds of tests to your demo servers, for things like:
Logging In, Trade->SubmitMarketOrder, Trade->SubmitMarketOrder->CloseTrade, GetListOfOpenTrades, GetAccount Information, etc.

I am at times seeing considerable round trip times, I mean really long, ie over 1000ms, and usually, somewhat long processing times where 500ms would be about average. This very large variance causes some concern because of obvious implications in the more important functions such as market entries and trade closures.

From my location the ping round trip times to your ciapi.cityindex.com server are ~25ms.

Do you have some performance guidelines or levels of service one can expect?

As always, thanks for your answers.

Hello,

Those are extraordinarily long round trip times! We use CDNs to provide high levels of reliability and performance so those are not numbers we'd normally expect to see. 

I know that internet infrastructure in the US is variable, depending on location/ISP and quality can vary significantly. Please perform a Trace Route diagnostic by entering in the Command Prompt: 

tracert ciapi.cityindex.com

For comparison, my results appear as: 

image.png

Kind Regards, PM

Hi,

Here is what you requested (see below).  As you can see, I am fairly close to your server with only a few hops as I am testing from Phoenix AZ.  I observe that the resolved IP address that I get is different than the one you get in your tracert and ping test above.  This may or may not matter.

1 - What is a "CDN"?

2 - Does your firm have constant monitoring of server processing times on your backend to detect potential issues?

3 - I have an additional link monitor that monitors the connection pathways to your server at all times and I note that the path is very clean and stable, so I am ruling out excessive internet based RTT's (Round Trip Times) to/from your servers.

4 - Can you monitor access to my demo account for an entire day and capture all the tests being made to see if on your end, you are indeed seeing long server processing times which I am reasonably sure is the case?

5 - If I were seeing some processing times including the RTTs  that were say under 200ms, I would not bother inquiring further, however, I experience rather routinely very long processing times that can be even over 1000ms with about 400-750ms being about average.

As always, thanks for your answers.

image.png.5a10b970755182045e901662b83a215f.png

Hello,

Thank you for the diagnostic results - they look decent. We can (for now) take it as given that the long processing times you are seeing is NOT due to internet issues, as noted in your point 3.

1) CDN = content delivery network. Essentially, they are a geographically distributed network of proxy servers / data centres so that clients globally still experience good performance since they use servers that are relatively closeby. See the Wikipedia article for more information if you are interested: Content Delivery Network

2, 4, 5) Yes, we do. Client / account related data such as your trade/order processing times are however compartmentalised. That is, only certain teams have access to the data for confidentiality reasons etc. 

The best course of action I would suggest is:

A) Contact your account manager if you have one, or client services and explain that you are experiencing long processing times for a lot of your trade and order requests.   

B) It would be helpful if you could supply date/times for some of your trade/order requests that have experienced the long processing times, along with your account user name etc.

C) The support team can examine the logs for the problematic trade/order requests and investigate from there as required. They can then reply to you with their findings and next steps and so on.

Kind Regards, PM