Sign in to follow this  
rwbta

Financial Information eXchange (FIX) examples

Hi rwbta,

No.

(As a side note, we are creating a FIX API that will enable communication from your systems to our servers via FIX, but it has not been finished yet.)

Since the CIAPI enables you to connect directly to our servers it isn't logical to use CIAPI to communicate with the FIX protocol to then connect into our server back-end??! It would be adding an extra layer of complexity and latency.

You would use CIAPI from your system to our servers, or when it is ready, you would use our FIX API to connect your system directly to our servers.

I see where that could be confusing!  :)

The web page you cited is referring to our API as a single API in two different flavours or variants - one in JSON and one for FIX.

Here in the Engineering and Technology division, we tend to think and term them as two APIs: the one you already know as the CIAPI (JSON) and a second FIX API. Internally, between divisions there is no confusion, but I can see how someone external such as yourself could be confused! Apologies.

The FIX API is almost ready, but still needs some bugs ironed out and some features added etc. 

Thanks - we appreciate it. I'll post message you on this forum when we are ready.

A quick update after having just spoken to our FIX API team.

You may have heard recently that City Index are merging with Gain Capital in the US. Since Gain already have a FIX API, they are looking over the specifications of our FIX API for things they'd like to change/edit. This has slowed down development and release of our FIX API slightly. 

We'll be back in touch once we're ready to go into beta. Thanks again. 

Hi,

The person in charge of the FIX API project is away until this Friday. I'll update once he's back and we've conversed about the FIX API. Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

PM!

Hello RWBTA,

I have an update about the FIX API.

It is currently entering QA/Testing for the month of August. All going well, a provisional date has been set for September to launch it.

As a note, the FIX API is targeted at institutional/corporate clients rather than our retail clients. However, if a retail client already has the experience, knowledge and infrastructure to support connecting via the FIX API then we will consider that on a case by case basis. 

Kind Regards,

PM!

Thank you for the update on the FIX API. Is there any chance it will be available to individual developers?

I had pretty much given up hope that CI API would ever really be available to those outside of CI. As I have commented in the past, lack of examples and very limited responses on this forum makes it extremely difficult to use. Hopefully, this is a sign the that CI is starting open up a bit.