Sign in to follow this  
steffen.opel

What are the targeted minimum platform requirements for API client library implementations?

To properly judge implementation design options (in contrast to the HTTP/Json API design itself), the initial minimum platform requirements should be specified/documented. For example, I noticed that JsonClient currently targets .NET 4 and JsonClient.Silverlight Silverlight 4 respectively – does this mean these will be the minimum supported targets for the time being indeed, i.e. .NET 3.5 will not be supported and all .NET 4 goodies are available for the implementation?

Similar questions exist for other platforms like ActionScript and Java of course, e.g. will Java 6 be required etc.

Guest mrdavidlaing

For the first round of implementations, I think that the current “stable/released” version of each platform should be targeted. We anticipate that in most cases the client libraries will be used in greenfield developments.

Of course, since its open source, we’d welcome patches / forks that add backward compatibility :)

For the first round of implementations, I think that the current “stable/released” version of each platform should be targeted. We anticipate that in most cases the client libraries will be used in greenfield developments.

Of course, since its open source, we’d welcome patches / forks that add backward compatibility :)

I’m currently developing on Java 6. Is that alright?

Guest mrdavidlaing

@justin nelson Depends on what is supported by Android I guess. Seems that most all the Java 6 stuff in supported – http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1091114/how-much-of-the-java-6-api-is-implemented-by-android

@mrdavidlaing Ok, I will make sure I just stick with the support Android mindset.