oli

lightstreamer issues

HI again @Physicsman - my lightstreamer feed seems to be having some issues and I wanted to check whether that's due to me or the server. It was working fine last Friday, and has been working fine for some months now. However today I'm authenticating the session ok, connecting to the lightstreamer server, even starting the streaming session... and then the connection is refused:

Lightstreamer.DotNet.Client.PushConnException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 212.161.8.52:80

Before I embark upon an epic journey to try to figure out what's broken, would you be able to tell me whether the lightstreamer is up and running or whether there is another reason why it might have stopped working for me? Maybe something changed or it's been upgraded or something?

Thank you so much,

oli

Hi,

It's possible the DNS has been cached locally on your side so that push.cityindex.com isn't routing to the currently active server. We're speaking with our networks team to find out the command you can use to flush your DNS cache and then it should work. Temporarily you can use the other address for now.

However, you should normally use push.cityindex.com so that when we shut down a server for maintenance or whatever reason, you'll still be routed to functioning servers.

Kind Regards, PM

Hi,

To check whether a DNS cache flush is required. 

1) Open a command promt and send the command: ping push.cityindex.com. Check whether you are pinging 212.161.8.51. 

2) If yes, then check your hosts file that it is not routing you to that IP.

3) Enter command: ipconfig /flushdns

4) Ping push.cityindex.com and this time you should be on 213.152.236.50

Lighstreamer should now be working for you again!

Hi @Physicsman - by way of a quick update, I'm still using push2 as the DNS problems weren't resolved by the flushing process.

Pinging push.cityindex.com resolves to [213.152.236.50], but when the server actually tries to stream i get the same 

Lightstreamer.DotNet.Client.PushConnException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 212.161.8.52:80

message as I was getting before. So it seems that the first bit is working ok, but then something is pointing me to .52 and that's presumably not right.

I checked the hosts file too, which is empty (I assume we're talking about "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts", right?)

So I guess I'll continue using push2 for now, but if you have any other thoughts on what it might be then please do let me know!

Thanks again,

Oli

Hi Oli,

Thank you for the update. A bit weird that when pinging you receive .50 but when attempting to connect and streamm you are sent to .52. DNS flush should have fixed it, but puzzled as to why it has not.

Yes you are looking at the correct hosts file.

For the time being, since you are able to connect directly to the streaming server we can save you time from investigating further for now. If it becomes a problem again we can then look at it again. 

Kind Regards,

PM

Hi @physicsman - me again... lightstreamer has died again for me.. although I'm not getting the same error i was before. Right now I'm getting a generic "An error occurred" message and will have to go into the code and recompile to get it to spit out more detail.

Pinging push.cityindex.com sends me to 213.152.236.40, which is different from last time so it looks like there might be some more DNS changes going on. I tried re-flushing and it that didn't work either.. maybe you could point me to a functioning lightstreamer server? Without it I can't place any trades :(

thanks!

oliver

Hi Oli,

The best way to check whether we have a working Lightstreamer server is to put the URL into a Web browser. You will see the appropriate status message depending upon its state. Currently I am seeing:

image.png

A secondary check is to login to our Web trading platform with your account and check whether markets are receiving price updates. All our trading platforms use the same API and Lightstreamer server. If there is an issue with Lightstreamer then our platforms won't be receiving price updates either. 

With both methods I'm seeing Lightstreamer as currently working. It's looking as though there may be some sort of networking issue at your end.

Do you see the "Lightstreamer up" message when you enter the URL into a Web browser?

hmm yeah I see the same message when I go to push.cityindex.com in a browser, but when I call it with the C# client it doesn't work.

OK - if everything's powered by the same lightstreamer server that's good to know. I will go digging on my side and see if I can figure this thing out.. so annoying.

ok - got it. The problem was I was connecting to http://push.cityindex.com as opposed to https.

Not sure why it stopped working in the last 24 hours, but it seems to work now. Hopefully that's the end of my lightstreamer woes!!! :)

Thanks + have a great weekend!

oli