socalwill

Required parameters for Trade & format for currency pair names

Hi there, 

two quick questions about the required parameters for Trade. I tried to follow the instructions, but for some reason I keep getting a 401 unauthorized message

< HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
< Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 04:06:25 GMT
< Server: PWS/8.1.20.22
< X-Px: nc h0-s1048.p7-lax ( h0-s1016.p12-sjc), nc h0-s1016.p12-sjc ( h0-s43.p6-lhr), nc h0-s43.p6-lhr ( origin)
< Cache-Control: no-cache
< Pragma: no-cache
< Expires: -1
< Content-Length: 73
< Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8
< X-AspNet-Version: 4.0.30319
< X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
< Connection: keep-alive
* Connection #0 to host ciapi.cityindex.com left intact
{"HttpStatus":401,"ErrorMessage":"Session is not valid","ErrorCode":4011}

when I try the following command that contains a valid Session Id as well as a valid Audit ID from the last tick I received:

curl -v "https://ciapi.cityindex.com/tradingapi/order/newtradeorder" -H 'Content-Type: application/json; charset=UTF-8' -d "{"IfDone":null,"Direction":"sell","ExpiryDateTimeUTCDate":null,"LastChangedDateTimeUTCDate":null,"OcoOrder":null,"Type":null,"ExpiryDateTimeUTC":null,"Applicability":null,"TriggerPrice":null,"BidPrice":1.13478,"AuditId":"GTX4213572_1","AutoRollover":false,"MarketId":154290,"OfferPrice":1.13490,"OrderId":0,"Currency":null,"Quantity":1,"QuoteId":null,"LastChangedDateTimeUTC":null,"PositionMethodId":1,"TradingAccountId":mytradinacct,"MarketName":"EUR USD","Status":null,"isTrade":true,"UserName":"myusername","Session":"mysessionid"}" -X POST

Several possibilities come to mind:

Is the format for EUR/USD correct or should I use EUR/USD? I tried both but neither worked. I read somewhere in the documentation that one has to use EUR USD when searching for the MarketId, so I am not sure.

Some of the other parameters could be wrong.

It could also be a slight idiosyncrasy with the way the POST command has to be used as a zero length request (we saw that for logging out).

So I am wondering if you could maybe provide server messages for a command that works for you and I will compare. I would be happy to sent credentials via pm should that facilitate the process.

Of course there is also the possibility that I am missing something very obvious :)

Thanks!

Hello Will,

When searching by name, then yes the "/" should be omitted. For example search for "EUR USD" rather than "EUR/USD".

However, when placing a trade you should use the market name exactly as it is. The market ID you are using is for the EUR/USD CFD market rather than the spot FX market. If you want the spot FX "EUR/USD" market, its ID is: 401091573.

If you want to continue using the EUR/USD CFD market, its full name is: "EUR/USD (per 0.0001)".

The authentication username and session ID should be in the query string and not in the trade request body. E.g.

https://ciapi.cityindex.com/TradingAPI/order/newtradeorder?UserName=dmXXX&Session=XXX'

The body will then be (parameter orders are different than yours but it will work in whatever order)

{"Type":null,"Applicability":null,"ExpiryDateTimeUTC":null,"OcoOrder":null,"Direction":"sell","isTrade":true,"TriggerPrice":null,"AuditId":"GTX5753178_3","Currency":null,"MarketName":"EUR/USD (per 0.0001) CFD","BidPrice":1.13126,"ExpiryDateTimeUTCDate":null,"PositionMethodId":1,"LastChangedDateTimeUTCDate":null,"AutoRollover":false,"Status":null,"MarketId":154290,"OfferPrice":1.13136,"LastChangedDateTimeUTC":null,"OrderId":0,"Quantity":1,"QuoteId":null,"IfDone":[],"TradingAccountId":XXX}

Kind Regards,

PM!

Hello there,

Thanks much, for some reason I was missing that the marketid I was using was not for Spot FX.

Now I am getting an error code 500, internal server error.

Two questions:

1. I noticed that , for the marketid 401091573 that you sent me, the market information I get with GetMarketInformation includes some information about the specific exchange:

"ExchangeId":400000057,"ExchangeName":"FX (GTS) FL MT4 Exchange"

Would that be the one I want to use here?

2. For the quantity, do I need to put in the number of lots (where the actual actual amount traded would depend on the specific lot size I am signed up with) or the actual amount traded?

Thanks so much!

Hi,

Answers to your questions below.

1) Yes, this is the spot FX market - the exchange code looks like an internal term to fill in the field since spot FX is not traded on a public exchange as such. 

2) For spot FX markets when entering trade sizes you enter the amount traded. For example: to trade 1 lot it would be 100,000, a mini-lot is 10,000 and a micro-lot is 1,000. 

Not sure what would cause the error apart from I used a trade size of 1 in my previous example! Ooops - sorry! Hopefully, if you enter correct trade sizes it will work.  :)

Kind Regards,

PM!

Hi there again,

I looks like I am still getting the internal server error message. Before we dig deeper and analyze the server log ,we could maybe try the following:

Could you place a trade, say buy or sell 10000 or 100000 EUR/USD spot and then post the body of the request that went through similarly to what you did above for EUR/USD CFD? That way I could make sure I am using parameters that should work.

Thanks!

Sure no problem.

I used our AT Pro trading platform to place a trade (successfully) and used Fiddler to capture the request header and body in the trade request. I shall send you a PM with the images attached when I finish this post.

I noticed that there is an additional field in the request body ("Reference") that isn't captured in the API documentation. I've looked in the source code for trade requests and I see that the development team have added some fields in and forgot to update the documentation. I've made a note to update the documentation. 

The Reference field is just a string used to identify the source of the trade request and is used internally only. Should you want to add this field to your request I suggest you use a value of: "CIAPI" to identify the request as an API call.

Kind Regards,

PM!

Success: I noticed that the example given in the documentation for Trade doesn't seem to be quite consistent with the list of parameters in http://docs.labs.cityindex.com/#Data Types/NewTradeOrderRequestDTO.htm as the latter contains fewer parameters. So I went ahead and just took the ones listed in NewTradeOrderRequestDTO (actually, I left out the last two there) and is works!

So there is no need to do what I suggested in the previous message.

Cheers!

William